1. Indeed Allâh has heard the statement of her (Khaulah bint Tha'labah) that disputes with you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) concerning her husband (Aus bin AsSâmit), and complains to Allâh. And Allâh hears the argument between you both. Verily, Allâh is All-Hearer, All-Seer.
2. Those among you who make their wives unlawful (Az-Zihâr) to them by saying to them "You are like my mother's back." They cannot be their mothers. None can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And verily, they utter an ill word and a lie. And verily, Allâh is Oft-Pardoning, Oft-Forgiving.
3. And those who make unlawful to them (their wives) (by Az-Zihâr) and wish to free themselves from what they uttered, (the penalty) in that case (is) the freeing of a slave before they touch each other. That is an admonition to you (so that you may not return to such an ill thing). And Allâh is All-Aware of what you do.
4. And he who finds not (the money for freeing a slave) must fast two successive months before they both touch each other. And for him who is unable to do so, he should feed sixty of Miskîn (poor). That is in order that you may have perfect Faith in Allâh and His Messenger. These are the limits set by Allâh. And for disbelievers, there is a painful torment.
5. Verily, those who oppose Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) will be disgraced, as those before them (among the past nation), were disgraced. And We have sent down clear Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.). And for the disbelievers is a disgracing torment.
6. On the Day when Allâh will resurrect them all together (i.e. the Day of Resurrection) and inform them of what they did. Allâh has kept account of it, while they have forgotten it. And Allâh is Witness over all things.
7. Have you not seen that Allâh knows whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is on the earth? There is no Najwa (secret counsel) of three, but He is their fourth (with His Knowledge, while He Himself is over the Throne, over the seventh heaven), nor of five but He is their sixth (with His Knowledge), not of less than that or more, but He is with them (with His Knowledge) wheresoever they may be; and afterwards on the Day of Resurrection, He will inform them of what they did. Verily, Allâh is the All-Knower of everything.
8. Have you not seen those who were forbidden to hold secret counsels, and afterwards returned to that which they had been forbidden, and conspired together for sin and wrong doing and disobedience to the Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam). And when they come to you, they greet you with a greeting wherewith Allâh greets you not, and say within themselves: "Why should Allâh punish us not for what we say?" Hell will be sufficient for them, they will burn therein, and worst indeed is that destination!
9. O you who believe! When you hold secret counsel, do it not for sin and wrong-doing, and disobedience towards the Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) but do it for Al-Birr (righteousness) and Taqwa (virtues and piety); and fear Allâh unto Whom you shall be gathered.
10. Secret counsels (conspiracies) are only from Shaitân (Satan), in order that he may cause grief to the believers. But he cannot harm them in the least, except as Allâh permits, and in Allâh let the believers put their trust .
11. O you who believe! When you are told to make room in the assemblies, (spread out and) make room. Allâh will give you (ample) room (from His Mercy). And when you are told to rise up [for prayers, Jihâd (holy fighting in Allâh's Cause), or for any other good deed], rise up. Allâh will exalt in degree those of you who believe, and those who have been granted knowledge. And Allâh is Well-Acquainted with what you do.
12. O you who believe! When you (want to) consult the Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) in private, spend something in charity before your private consultation. That will be better and purer for you. But if you find not (the means for it), then verily, Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
13. Are you afraid of spending in charity before your private consultation (with him)? If then you do it not, and Allâh has forgiven you, then (at least) performAs-Salât (Iqâmat as Salât) and give Zakât and obey Allâh (i.e. do all what Allâh and His Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam order you to do). And Allâh is All-Aware of what you do.
14. Have you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) not seen those (hypocrites) who take for friends a people upon whom is the Wrath of Allâh (i.e. Jews)? They are neither of you (Muslims) nor of them (Jews), and they swear to a lie while they know.
18. On the Day when Allâh will resurrect them all together (for their account), then they will swear to Him as they swear to you (O Muslims). And they think that they have something (to stand upon). Verily, they are liars!
22. You (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) will not find any people who believe in Allâh and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ), even though they were their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rûh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And We will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allâh is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the Party of Allâh. Verily, it is the Party of Allâh that will be the successful.