[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings].
(This is) a Book which We have revealed unto you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) in order that you might lead mankind out of darkness (of disbelief and polytheism) into light (of belief in the Oneness of Allâh and Islâmic Monotheism) by their Lord's Leave to the Path of the All-Mighty, the Owner of all Praise.
4. And We sent not a Messenger except with the language of his people, in order that he might make (the Message) clear for them. Then Allâh misleads whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise.
5. And indeed We sent Mûsa (Moses) with Our Ayât (signs, proofs, and evidences) (saying): "Bring out your people from darkness into light, and make them remember the annals of Allâh. Truly, therein are evidences, proofs and signs for every patient, thankful (person)."
6. And (remember) when Mûsa (Moses) said to his people: "Call to mind Allâh's Favour to you, when He delivered you from Fir'aun's (Pharaoh) people who were afflicting you with horrible torment, and were slaughtering your sons and letting your women alive, and in it was a tremendous trial from your Lord."
7. And (remember) when your Lord proclaimed: "If you give thanks (by accepting Faith and worshipping none but Allâh), I will give you more (of My Blessings), but if you are thankless (i.e. disbelievers), verily! My Punishment is indeed severe."
9. Has not the news reached you, of those before you, the people of Nûh (Noah), and 'Ad, and Thamud? And those after them? None knows them but Allâh. To them came their Messengers with clear proofs, but they put their hands in their mouths (biting them from anger) and said: "Verily, we disbelieve in that with which you have been sent, and we are really in grave doubt as to that to which you invite us (i.e. Islâmic Monotheism)."
10. Their Messengers said: "What! Can there be a doubt about Allâh, the Creator of the heavens and the earth? He calls you (to Monotheism and to be obedient to Allâh) that He may forgive you of your sins and give you respite for a term appointed." They said: "You are no more than human beings like us! You wish to turn us away from what our fathers used to worship. Then bring us a clear authority i.e. a clear proof of what you say)."
11. Their Messengers said to them: "We are no more than human beings like you, but Allâh bestows His Grace to whom He wills of His slaves. It is not ours to bring you an authority (proof) except by the Permission of Allâh. And in Allâh (Alone) let the believers put their trust.
12. "And why should we not put our trust in Allâh while He indeed has guided us our ways. And we shall certainly bear with patience all the hurt you may cause us, and in Allâh (Alone) let those who trust, put their trust."
13. And those who disbelieved, said to their Messengers: "Surely, we shall drive you out of our land, or you shall return to our religion." So their Lord inspired them: "Truly, We shall destroy the Zâlimûn (polytheists, disbelievers and wrong-doers.).
15. But they (the Messengers) sought victory and help [from their Lord (Allâh)], and every obstinate, arrogant dictator (who refuses to believe in the Oneness of Allâh) was brought to a complete loss and destruction.
17. He will sip it unwillingly, and he will find a great difficulty to swallow it down his throat , and death will come to him from every side, yet he will not die and in front of him, will be a great torment.
18. The parable of those who disbelieve in their Lord is that their works are as ashes, on which the wind blows furiously on a stormy day, they shall not be able to get aught of what they have earned. That is the straying, far away (from the Right Path).
21. And they all shall appear before Allâh (on the Day of Resurrection) then the weak will say to those who were arrogant (chiefs): "Verily, we were following you; can you avail us anything from Allâh's Torment?" They will say: "Had Allâh guided us, we would have guided you. It makes no difference to us (now) whether we rage, or bear (these torments) with patience, there is no place of refuge for us."
22. And Shaitân (Satan) will say when the matter has been decided: "Verily, Allâh promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, so you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me (Satan) as a partner with Allâh (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.)."
23. And those who believed (in the Oneness of Allâh and His Messengers and whatever they brought) and did righteous deeds, will be made to enter Gardens under which rivers flow, - to dwell therein forever (i.e.in Paradise), with the permission of their Lord. Their greeting therein will be: Salâm (peace!) .
27. Allâh will keep firm those who believe, with the word that stands firm in this world (i.e. they will keep on worshipping Allâh Alone and none else), and in the Hereafter. And Allâh will cause to go astray those who are Zâlimûn(polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.), and Allâh does what He wills.
28. Have you not seen those who have changed the Blessings of Allâh into disbelief (by denying Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam and his Message of Islâm), and caused their people to dwell in the house of destruction?
31. Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) to 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have believed, that they should perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and spend in charity out of the sustenance We have given them, secretly and openly, before the coming of a Day on which there will be neither mutual bargaining nor befriending.
32. Allâh is He Who has created the heavens and the earth and sends down water (rain) from the sky, and thereby brought forth fruits as provision for you; and He has made the ships to be of service to you, that they may sail through the sea by His Command; and He has made rivers (also) to be of service to you.
34. And He gave you of all that you asked for, and if you count the Blessings of Allâh, never will you be able to count them. Verily! Man is indeed an extreme wrong-doer, - a disbeliever (an extreme ingrate, denies Allâh's Blessings by disbelief, and by worshipping others besides Allâh, and by disobeying Allâh and His Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam).
37. "O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in an uncultivable valley by Your Sacred House (the Ka'bah at Makkah); in order, O our Lord, that they may perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), so fill some hearts among men with love towards them, and (O Allâh) provide them with fruits so that they may give thanks.
43. (They will be) hastening forward with necks outstretched, their heads raised up (towards the sky), their gaze returning not towards them and their hearts empty (from thinking because of extreme fear).
44. And warn (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) mankind of the Day when the torment will come unto them; then the wrong-doers will say: "Our Lord! Respite us for a little while, we will answer Your Call and follow the Messengers!" (It will be said): "Had you not sworn aforetime that you would not leave (the world for the Hereafter).
46. Indeed, they planned their plot, and their plot was with Allâh, though their plot was a great (one, still) it would never be able to remove the mountains (real mountains or the Islâmic law) from their places (as it is of no importance) [Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Vol. 2, Page 597]. [It is said by some interpreters regarding this Verse that the Quraish pagans plotted against Prophet Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam to kill him but they failed and were unable to carry out their plot which they plotted].
49. And you will see the Mujrimûn (criminals, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism, polytheists, disobedient to Allâh, etc.) that Day bound together in fetters; [Muqarranûn in fetters; mean:- with their hands and feet tied to their necks with chains.]
52. This (Qur'ân) is a Message for mankind (and a clear proof against them), in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is the only One Ilâh (God - Allâh) - (none has the right to be worshipped but Allâh), and that men of understanding may take heed.