1. Hâ Mîm.
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings].
5. Nearly the heavens might rent asunder from above them (by His Majesty), and the angels glorify the praises of their Lord, and ask for forgiveness for those on the earth, verily, Allâh is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.
6. And as for those who take as Auliyâ' (guardians, supporters, helpers, protectors, etc.) others besides Him [i.e. they take false deities other than Allâh (as) protectors, and they worship them] Allâh is Hafîz (Protector) over them (i.e. takes care of their deeds and will recompense them), and you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) are not a Wakîl (guardian or a disposer of their affairs) over them (to protect their deeds, etc.).
7. And thus We have inspired unto you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) a Qur'ân (in Arabic) that you may warn the Mother of the Towns (Makkah) and all around it. And warn of the Day of Assembling, of which there is no doubt, when a party will be in Paradise (those who believed in Allâh and followed what Allâh's Messengersallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam brought them) and a party in the blazing Fire (Hell) (those who disbelieved in Allâh and followed not what Allâh's Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam brought them)
8. And if Allâh had willed, He could have made them one nation, but He admits whom He wills to His Mercy. And the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) will have neither a Walî (protector) nor a helper.
9. Or have they taken (for worship) Auliyâ' (guardians, supporters, helpers, protectors, etc.) besides Him? But Allâh, He Alone is the Walî (Protector, etc.). And it is He Who gives life to the dead, and He is Able to do all things.
10. And in whatsoever you differ, the decision thereof is with Allâh (He is the ruling Judge). (And say O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam to these polytheists:) Such is Allâh, my Lord in Whom I put my trust, and to Him I turn in all of my affairs and in repentance.
11. The Creator of the heavens and the earth. He has made for you mates from yourselves, and for the cattle (also) mates. By this means He creates you (in the wombs). There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the All-Hearer, the All-Seer.
13. He (Allâh) has ordained for you the same religion (Islâm) which He ordained for Nûh (Noah), and that which We have inspired in you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), and that which We ordained for Ibrahîm (Abraham), Mûsa (Mosesý) and 'Iesa (Jesus) saying you should establish religion (i.e. to do what it orders you to do practically), and make no divisions in it (religion) (i.e. various sects in religion). Intolerable for the Mushrikûn , is that to which you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) call them. Allâh chooses for Himself whom He wills, and guides unto Himself who turns to Him in repentance and in obedience.
14. And they divided not till after knowledge had come to them, through selfish transgression between themselves. And had it not been for a Word that went forth before from your Lord for an appointed term, the matter would have been settled between them. And verily, those who were made to inherit the Scripture [i.e. the Taurâh (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)] after them (i.e. Jews and Christians) are in grave doubt concerning it (i.e. Allâh's true religion Islâm or the Qur'ân).
15. So unto this (religion of Islâm, alone and this Qur'ân) then invite (people) (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), and Istaqim [(i.e. stand firm and straight on Islâmic Monotheism by performing all that is ordained by Allâh (good deeds, etc.), and by abstaining from all that is forbidden by Allâh (sins and evil deeds, etc.)], as you are commanded, and follow not their desires but say: "I believe in whatsoever Allâh has sent down of the Book [all the holy Books, this Qur'ân and the Books of the old from the Taurât (Torah), or the Injeel (Gospel) or the Pages of Ibrâhim (Abraham)] and I am commanded to do justice among you, Allâh is our Lord and your Lord. For us our deeds and for you your deeds. There is no dispute between us and you. Allâh will assemble us (all), and to Him is the final return.
16. And those who dispute concerning Allâh (His Religion of Islâmic Monotheism, with which Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam has been sent), after it has been accepted (by the people), of no use is their dispute before their Lord, and on them is wrath, and for them will be a severe torment .
18. Those who believe not therein seek to hasten it, while those who believe are fearful of it, and know that it is the very truth. Verily, those who dispute concerning the Hour are certainly in error far away.
20. Whosoever desires (with his deeds) the reward of the Hereafter, We give him increase in his reward, and whosoever desires the reward of this world (with his deeds), We give him thereof (what is written for him), and he has no portion in the Hereafter.
21. Or have they partners with Allâh (false gods), who have instituted for them a religion which Allâh has not allowed. And had it not been for a decisive Word (gone forth already), the matter would have been judged between them. And verily, for the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers), there is a painful torment.
22. You will see (on the Day of Resurrection), the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.) fearful of that which they have earned, and it (Allâh's Torment) will surely befall them, while those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) and do righteous deeds (will be) in the flowering meadows of the Gardens (Paradise), having what they wish from their Lord. That is the supreme Grace, (Paradise).
23. That is (the Paradise) whereof Allâh gives glad tidings to His slaves who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds. Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam): "No reward do I ask of you for this except to be kind to me for my kinship with you." And whoever earns a good righteous deed, We shall give him an increase of good in respect thereof. Verily, Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate (the deeds of those who are obedient to Him).
24. Or say they: "He has invented a lie against Allâh?" If Allâh willed, He could have sealed your heart (so that you forget all that you know of the Qur'an). And Allâh wipes out falsehood, and establishes the truth (Islâm) by His Word (this Qur'an). Verily, He knows well what (the secrets) are in the breasts (of mankind).
26. And He answers (the invocation of) those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) and do righteous good deeds, and gives them increase of His Bounty. And as for the disbelievers, theirs will be a severe torment.
27. And if Allâh were to enlarge the provision for His slaves, they would surely rebel in the earth, but He sends down by measure as He wills. Verily! He is in respect of His slaves, the Well-Aware, the All-Seer (of things that benefit them).
29. And among His Ayât (proofs, evidences, lessons, signs, etc.) is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and whatever moving (living) creatures He has dispersed in them both. And He is All-Potent over their assembling (i.e. resurrecting them on the Day of Resurrection after their death, and dispersion of their bodies) whenever He will.
35. And those who dispute (polytheists, etc. with Our Messenger Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) as regards Our Ayât (proofs, signs, verses, etc. of Islâmic Monotheism) may know that there is no place of refuge for them (from Allâh's punishment).
36. So whatever you have been given is but a passing enjoyment for this worldly life, but that which is with Allâh (Paradise) is better and more lasting for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) and put their trust in their Lord (concerning all of their affairs).
38. And those who answer the Call of their Lord [i.e. to believe that He is the only One Lord (Allâh), and to worship none but Him Alone], and perform As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât), and who (conduct) their affairs by mutual consultation, and who spend of what We have bestowed on them;
40. The recompense for an evil is an evil like thereof, but whoever forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allâh. Verily, He likes not theZâlimûn (oppressors, polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.).
44. And whomsoever Allâh sends astray, for him there is no Walî (protector) after Him. And you will see the Zâlimûn (polytheists, wrong-doers, oppressors, etc.) when they behold the torment, they will say: "Is there any way of return (to the world)?"
45. And you will see them brought forward to it (Hell) made humble by disgrace , (and) looking with stealthy glance. And those who believe will say: "Verily, the losers are they who lose themselves and their families on the Day of Resurrection. Verily, the Zâlimûn [i.e. Al-Kâfirûn (disbelievers in Allâh, in His Oneness and in His Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam, polytheists, wrong-doers, etc.)] will be in a lasting torment.
47. Answer the Call of your Lord (i.e. accept the Islâmic Monotheism, O mankind, and jinns) before there comes from Allâh a Day which cannot be averted. You will have no refuge on that Day nor there will be for you any denying (of your crimes as they are all recorded in the Book of your deeds).
48. But if they turn away (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam from the Islâmic Monotheism, which you have brought to them). We have not sent you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) as a Hafîz (protector) over them (i.e. to take care of their deeds and to recompense them). Your duty is to convey (the Message). And verily, when We cause man to taste of Mercy from Us, he rejoices thereat, but when some ill befalls them because of the deeds which their hands have sent forth, then verily, man (becomes) ingrate!
51. . It is not given to any human being that Allâh should speak to him unless (it be) by Inspiration, or from behind a veil, or (that) He sends a Messenger to reveal what He wills by His Leave. Verily, He is Most High, Most Wise .
52. And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur'ân) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily, you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Allâh's religion of Islâmic Monotheism).