1. O Prophet (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam)! Keep your duty to Allâh, and obey not the disbelievers and the hypocrites (i.e., do not follow their advices). Verily! Allâh is Ever All Knower, All Wise.
4. Allâh has not put for any man two hearts inside his body. Neither has He made your wives whom you declare to be like your mothers' backs, your real mothers. [Azthe back of my mother" i.e. You are unlawful for me to approach.], nor has He made your adopted sons your real sons. That is but your saying with your mouths. But Allâh says the truth, and He guides to the (Right) Way.
5. Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allâh. But if you know not their father's (names, call them) your brothers in faith and Mawâlîkum (your freed slaves). And there is no sin on you if you make a mistake therein, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend. And Allâh is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.
6. The Prophet is closer to the believers than their ownselves, and his wives are their (believers') mothers (as regards respect and marriage). And blood relations among each other have closer personal ties in the Decree of Allâh (regarding inheritance) than (the brotherhood of) the believers and theMuhajirûn (emigrants from Makkah, etc.), except that you do kindness to those brothers (when the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam joined them in brotherhood ties). This has been written in the (Allâh's Book of Divine) Decrees (Al Lauh Al Mahfûz)."
7. And (remember) when We took from the Prophets their covenant, and from you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), and from Nûh (Noah), Ibrâhim (Abraham), Mûsa (Moses), and 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). We took from them a strong covenant.
8. That He may ask the truthfuls (Allâh's Messengers and His Prophets) about their truth (i.e. the conveyance of Allâh's Message that which they were charged with). And He has prepared for the disbelievers a painful torment (Hell-fire).
9. O you who believe! Remember Allâh's Favour to you, when there came against you hosts, and We sent against them a wind and forces that you saw not [i.e. troops of angels during the battle of Al Ahzâb (the Confederates)]. And Allâh is Ever All Seer of what you do.
13. And when a party of them said: "O people of Yathrib (Al Madinah)! There is no stand (possible) for you (against the enemy attack!) Therefore go back!" And a band of them ask for permission of the Prophet ( sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) saying: "Truly, our homes lie open (to the enemy)." And they lay not open. They but wished to flee.
14. And if the enemy had entered from all sides (of the city), and they had been exhorted to Al Fitnah (i.e. to renegade from Islâm to polytheism) they would surely have committed it and would have hesitated thereupon but little.
16. Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam to these hypocrites who ask your permission to run away from you): "Flight will not avail you if you flee from death or killing, and then you will enjoy no more than a little while!"
17. Say: "Who is he who can protect you from Allâh if He intends to harm you, or intends mercy on you?" And they will not find, besides Allâh, for themselves any Walî (protector, supporter, etc.) or any helper.
18. Allâh already knows those among you who keep back (men) from fighting in Allâh's Cause, and those who say to their brethren "Come here towards us," while they (themselves) come not to the battle except a little.
19. Being miserly towards you (as regards help and aid in Allâh's Cause). Then when fear comes, you will see them looking to you, their eyes revolving like (those of) one over whom hovers death, but when the fear departs, they will smite you with sharp tongues, miserly towards (spending anything in any) good (and only covetous of booty and wealth). Such have not believed. Therefore Allâh makes their deeds fruitless, and that is ever easy for Allâh.
20. They think that Al Ahzâb (the Confederates) have not yet withdrawn, and ifAl Ahzâb (the Confederates) should come (again), they would wish they were in the deserts (wandering) among the bedouins, seeking news about you (from a far place); and if they (happen) to be among you, they would not fight but little.
21. Indeed in the Messenger of Allâh (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allâh and the Last Day and remembers Allâh much.
22. And when the believers saw Al Ahzâb (the Confederates), they said: "This is what Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) had promised us, and Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) had spoken the truth, and it only added to their faith and to their submissiveness (to Allâh).
23. Among the believers are men who have been true to their covenant with Allâh [i.e. they have gone out for Jihâd (holy fighting), and showed not their backs to the disbelievers], of them some have fulfilled their obligations (i.e. have been martyred), and some of them are still waiting, but they have never changed [i.e.they never proved treacherous to their covenant which they concluded with Allâh] in the least.
24. That Allâh may reward the men of truth for their truth (i.e. for their patience at the accomplishment of that which they covenanted with Allâh), and punish the hypocrites if He will or accept their repentance by turning to them in Mercy. Verily, Allâh is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.
25. And Allâh drove back those who disbelieved in their rage, they gained no advantage (booty, etc.). Allâh sufficed for the believers in the fighting (by sending against the disbelievers a severe wind and troops of angels). And Allâh is Ever All Strong, All Mighty.
26. And those of the people of the Scripture who backed them (the disbelievers) Allâh brought them down from their forts and cast terror into their hearts, (so that) a group (of them) you killed, and a group (of them) you made captives.
28. O Prophet (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam)! Say to your wives: If you desire the life of this world, and its glitter, Then come! I will make a provision for you and set you free in a handsome manner (divorce).
31. And whosoever of you is obedient to Allâh and His Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam , and does righteous good deeds, We shall give her, her reward twice over, and We have prepared for her Rizqan Karima (a noble provision Paradise).
32. O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allâh), then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.
33. And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As-Salât (Iqamât as Salât), and give Zakât and obey Allâh and His Messenger. Allâh wishes only to remove Ar Rijs (evil deeds and sins, etc.) from you, O members of the family (of the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), and to purify you with a thorough purification.
34. And remember (O you the members of the Prophet's family, the Graces of your Lord), that which is recited in your houses of the Verses of Allâh and AlHikmah (i.e. Prophet's Sunnah legal ways, etc. so give your thanks to Allâh and glorify His Praises for this Qur'an and the Sunnah). Verily, Allâh is Ever Most Courteous, Well Acquainted with all things.
35. Verily, the Muslims (those who submit to Allâh in Islâm) men and women, the believers men and women (who believe in Islâmic Monotheism), the men and the women who are obedient (to Allâh), the men and women who are truthful (in their speech and deeds), the men and the women who are patient (in performing all the duties which Allâh has ordered and in abstaining from all that Allâh has forbidden), the men and the women who are humble (before their Lord Allâh), the men and the women who give Sadaqât (i.e. Zakât, and alms, etc.), the men and the women who observe Saum (fast) (the obligatory fasting during the month of Ramadân, and the optional Nawâfil fasting), the men and the women who guard their chastity (from illegal sexual acts) and the men and the women who remember Allâh much with their hearts and tongues (while sitting, standing, lying, etc. for more than 300 times extra over the remembrance of Allâh during the five compulsory congregational prayers) or praying extra additional Nawâfil prayers of night in the last part of night, etc.) Allâh has prepared for them forgiveness and a great reward (i.e. Paradise).
36. It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allâh and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allâh and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error.
37. And (remember) when you said to him (Zaid bin Hârithah; the freed slave of the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) on whom Allâh has bestowed Grace (by guiding him to Islâm) and you (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam too) have done favour (by manumitting him) "Keep your wife to yourself, and fear Allâh." But you did hide in yourself (i.e. what Allâh has already made known to you that He will give her to you in marriage) that which Allâh will make manifest, you did fear the people (i.e., Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam married the divorced wife of his manumitted slave) whereas Allâh had a better right that you should fear Him. So when Zaid had accomplished his desire from her (i.e. divorced her), We gave her to you in marriage, so that (in future) there may be no difficulty to the believers in respect of (the marriage of) the wives of their adopted sons when the latter have no desire to keep them (i.e. they have divorced them). And Allâh's Command must be fulfilled.
38. There is no blame on the Prophet (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) in that which Allâh has made legal for him.That has been Allâh's Way with those who have passed away of (the Prophets of) old. And the Command of Allâh is a decree determined.
43. He it is Who sends Salât (His blessings) on you, and His angels too (ask Allâh to bless and forgive you), that He may bring you out from darkness (of disbelief and polytheism) into light (of Belief and Islâmic Monotheism). And He is Ever Most Merciful to the believers.
46. And as one who invites to Allâh [Islâmic Monotheism, i.e. to worship none but Allâh (Alone)] by His Leave, and as a lamp spreading light (through your instructions from the Qur'ân and the Sunnah the legal ways of the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam).
49. O you who believe! When you marry believing women, and then divorce them before you have sexual intercourse with them, no 'Iddah [divorce prescribed period, see (V.65:4)] have you to count in respect of them. So give them a present, and set them free i.e. divorce, in a handsome manner.
50. O Prophet (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam)! Verily, We have made lawful to you your wives, to whom you have paid their Mahr (bridal money given by the husband to his wife at the time of marriage), and those (captives or slaves) whom your right hand possesses - whom Allâh has given to you, and the daughters of your'Amm (paternal uncles) and the daughters of your 'Ammah (paternal aunts) and the daughters of your Khâl (maternal uncles) and the daughters of your Khâlah(maternal aunts) who migrated (from Makkah) with you, and a believing woman if she offers herself to the Prophet, and the Prophet wishes to marry her; a privilege for you only, not for the (rest of) the believers. Indeed We know what We have enjoined upon them about their wives and those (captives or slaves) whom their right hands possess, - in order that there should be no difficulty on you. And Allâh is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.
51. You (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) can postpone (the turn of) whom you will of them (your wives), and you may receive whom you will. And whomsoever you desire of those whom you have set aside (her turn temporarily), it is no sin on you (to receive her again), that is better; that they may be comforted and not grieved, and may all be pleased with what you give them. Allâh knows what is in your hearts. And Allâh is Ever All Knowing, Most Forbearing.
52. It is not lawful for you (to marry other) women after this, nor to change them for other wives even though their beauty attracts you, except those (captives or slaves) whom your right hand possesses. And Allâh is Ever a Watcher over all things.
53. O you who believe! Enter not the Prophet's houses, except when leave is given to you for a meal, (and then) not (so early as) to wait for its preparation. But when you are invited, enter, and when you have taken your meal, disperse, without sitting for a talk. Verily, such (behaviour) annoys the Prophet, and he is shy of (asking) you (to go), but Allâh is not shy of (telling you) the truth. And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts. And it is not (right) for you that you should annoy Allâh's Messenger, nor that you should ever marry his wives after him (his death). Verily! With Allâh that shall be an enormity.
55. It is no sin on them (the Prophet's wives, if they appear unveiled) before their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their brother's sons, or the sons of their sisters, or their own (believing) women, or their (female) slaves, and keep your duty to Allâh. Verily, Allâh is Ever All Witness over everything.
56. Allâh sends His Salât (Graces, Honours, Blessings, Mercy, etc.) on the Prophet (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) and also His angels too (ask Allâh to bless and forgive him). O you who believe! Send your Salât on (ask Allâh to bless) him (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), and (you should) greet (salute) him with the Islâmic way of greeting (salutation i.e. As Salâmu 'Alaikum).
59. O Prophet!(sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allâh is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.
60. If the hypocrites, and those in whose hearts is a disease (evil desire for adultery, etc.), and those who spread false news among the people in AlMadinah, cease not, We shall certainly let you overpower them, then they will not be able to stay in it as your neighbours but a little while.
71. He will direct you to do righteous good deeds and will forgive you your sins. And whosoever obeys Allâh and His Messenger (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) he has indeed achieved a great achievement (i.e. he will be saved from the Hell-fire and made to enter Paradise).
72. Truly, We did offer Al Amânah (the trust or moral responsibility or honesty and all the duties which Allâh has ordained) to the heavens and the earth, and the mountains, but they declined to bear it and were afraid of it (i.e. afraid of Allâh's Torment). But man bore it. Verily, he was unjust (to himself) and ignorant (of its results).
73. So that Allâh will punish the hypocrites, men and women, and the men and women who are Al Mushrikûn (the polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allâh, and in His Messenger Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ). And Allâh will pardon (accept the repentance of) the true believers of the Islâmic Monotheism, men and women. And Allâh is Ever Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful.