1. Hâ Mîm.
[These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur'ân, and none but Allâh (Alone) knows their meanings].
4. Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam to these pagans): "Think! All that you invoke besides Allâh show me! What have they created of the earth? Or have they a share in (the creation of) the heavens? Bring me a Book (revealed before this), or some trace of knowledge (in support of your claims), if you are truthful!"
8. Or say they: "He (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) has fabricated it." Say: "If I have fabricated it, still you have no power to support me against Allâh. He knows best of what you say among yourselves concerning it (i.e. this Qur'ân)! Sufficient is He for a witness between me and you! And He is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful."
9. Say (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam):"I am not a new thing among the Messengers (of Allâh) (i.e. I am not the first Messenger) nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I only follow that which is revealed to me, and I am but a plain warner."
10. Say: "Tell me! If this (Qur'ân) is from Allâh, and you deny it, and a witness from among the Children of Israel ('Abdullâh bin Salâm ) testifies that this Qur'ân is from Allâh [like the Taurât (Torah)], so he believed (embraced Islâm) while you are too proud (to believe)." Verily! Allâh guides not the people who are Zâlimûn (polytheists, disbelievers and wrong-doing).
11. And those who disbelieve (strong and wealthy) say of those who believe (weak and poor): "Had it (Islâmic Monotheism to which Muhammad is inviting mankind) been a good thing, they (weak and poor) would not have preceded us thereto!" And when they have not let themselves be guided by it (this Qur'ân), they say: "This is an ancient lie!"
12. And before this was the Scripture of Mûsa (Moses) as a guide and a mercy. And this is a confirming Book (the Qur'ân) in the Arabic language, to warn those who do wrong, and as glad tidings to the Muhsinûn (good-doers - see V.2:112).
13. Verily, those who say: "Our Lord is (only) Allâh," and thereafter Istaqâmû(i.e. stood firm and straight on the Islâmic Faith of Monotheism by abstaining from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which Allâh has forbidden and by performing all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained), on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
15. And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents. His mother bears him with hardship and she brings him forth with hardship, and the bearing of him, and the weaning of him is thirty (30) months, till when he attains full strength and reaches forty years, he says: "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your Favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You, and make my off-spring good. Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslims (submitting to Your Will)."
17. But he who says to his parents: "Fie upon you both! Do you hold out the promise to me that I shall be raised up (again) when generations before me have passed away (without rising)?" While they (father and mother) invoke Allâh for help (and rebuke their son): "Woe to you! Believe! Verily, the Promise of Allâh is true." But he says: "This is nothing but the tales of the ancient."
20. On the Day when those who disbelieve (in the Oneness of Allâh Islâmic Monotheism) will be exposed to the Fire (it will be said): "You received your good things in the life of the world, and you took your pleasure therein. Now this Day you shall be recompensed with a torment of humiliation, because you were arrogant in the land without a right, and because you used to rebel and disobey (Allâh).
21. And remember (Hûd) the brother of 'Ad, when he warned his people in Al-Ahqâf (the curved sand-hills in the southern part of Arabian Peninsula). And surely, there have passed away warners before him and after him (saying): "Worship none but Allâh; truly, I fear for you the torment of a mighty Day."
24. Then, when they saw it as a dense cloud coming towards their valleys, they said: "This is a cloud bringing us rain!" Nay, but it is that (torment) which you were asking to be hastened! a wind wherein is a painful torment!
25. Destroying everything by the Command of its Lord! So they became such that nothing could be seen except their dwellings! Thus do We recompense the people who are Mujrimûn (polytheists, disbelievers, sinners, etc.)!
26. And indeed We had firmly established them with that wherewith We have not established you (O Quraish)! And We had assigned them the (faculties of) hearing (ears), seeing (eyes), and hearts, but their hearing (ears), seeing (eyes), and their hearts availed them nothing since they used to deny the Ayât(Allâh's Prophets and their Prophethood, proofs, evidences, verses, signs, revelations, etc.) of Allâh, and they were completely encircled by that which they used to mock at!
27. And indeed We have destroyed towns (populations) round about you, and We have (repeatedly) shown (them) the Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) in various ways that they might return (to the truth and believe in the Oneness of Allâh - Islâmic Monotheism).
28. Then why did those whom they had taken for âliha (gods) besides Allâh, as a way of approach (to Allâh) not help them? Nay, but they vanished completely from them (when there came the torment). And that was their lie, and their inventions which they had been inventing (before their destruction).
29. And (remember) when We sent towards you (Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) Nafran (three to ten persons) of the jinns, (quietly) listening to the Qur'ân, when they stood in the presence thereof, they said: "Listen in silence!" And when it was finished, they returned to their people, as warners.
31. O our people! Respond (with obedience) to Allâh's Caller (i.e. Allâh's Messenger Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam), and believe in him (i.e. believe in that which Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam has brought from Allâh and follow him). He (Allâh) will forgive you of your sins, and will save you from a painful torment (i.e. Hell-fire) .
32. And whosoever does not respond to Allâh's Caller, he cannot escape on earth, and there will be no Auliyâ' (protectors) for him besides Allâh (from Allâh's Punishment). Those are in manifest error.
34. And on the Day when those who disbelieve will be exposed to the Fire (it will be said to them): "Is this not the truth?" They will say: "Yes, By our Lord!" He will say: "Then taste the torment, because you used to disbelieve!"
35. Therefore be patient (O Muhammad sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) as did the Messengers of strong will and be in no haste about them (disbelievers). On the Day when they will see that (torment) with which they are promised (i.e. threatened, it will be) as if they had not stayed more than an hour in a single day. (O mankind! This Qur'ân is sufficient as) a clear Message (or proclamation to save yourself from destruction). But shall any be destroyed except the people who are Al-Fâsiqûn(the rebellious, disobedient to Allâh).